Tuesday, March 16, 2010

...and breathe!

So what an adventure we have been on since Chase left for Florida 2 weeks ago. ( First off I can't believe its already been 2 weeks!)

Just a few days after he left we got news that Mike, his step dad, was rushed to the hospital at 3 am one morning with trouble breathing. He was on another round of Chemo for lung cancer as it had come back and apparently his body wasn't responding so well. Turns out his lung was collapsed. For a week he stayed in ICU on a ventilator being closely monitored. The doctors outlook wasn't good and 1 week from the day he was admitted he passed away to be with God. It was a sad day, whats worse is I had to tell Chase, who was alone, in Florida. Not only was he in Florida but at that moment I had no way to reach him as he wouldn't have his phone on him until 3 am due to job security. I debated making the 8 hour drive to be there for him but at the time it wasn't logical. He was pretty distant but with good cause. We found out prior that in the event of Mike's passing that Chase would not be granted leave. I know this was heartbreaking for Chase. I even offered to bust him out of Florida and promised to have him back before any one noticed. I would have given anything to be there when I had to tell them and I never want to tell him news like that again over the phone.

It was a hard night, and Morghan didn't understand why I was crying so much and I honestly had no clue how to tell her that G-pa went to Heaven. She asks about Jesus and Heaven all the time and I'm still not 100% how to explain it all to a 3 years old although I try very hard.

The next morning began another adventure. Morghan was running a fever of 101 at 9am. This was odd to me because she very rarely runs a fever in the morning. In the afternoon/evening, sure. I gave her some Motrin and we went on with the day as she seemed fine. She was running and playing as usual. She started crying saying her tummy hurts but it would come and go. Things is, when it would come.. she would be in tears and I didn't really know what to do. As the day drew on her fever rose higher and higher. By 9pm she had hit 104.8 and that was it. I had alternated Motrin with Tylenol and she was getting worse. By now of course the height of the fever was definitely taking its toll on her. She was just laying there breathing heavily and I got scared so I rushed her to the ER. We did not make it home until early the next morning after they had run numerous tests. Strep, neg. Mono, neg. etc. Finally her UA came back and the doctor explained that she might have a kidney or bladder infection. We still needed the results from the culture but those wouldn't be available until Monday so we were sent home. She had antibiotics and some extra Tylenol just in case. Monday morning rolled around and her fever was finally down to 100.9. By 2pm at her follow up dr. appt she was back to 98.8, and I couldn't be more relieved. However she was still having these horrible tummy aches. Her DR called for the test results of the culture and turns out its positive for bacteria. Now they are running more tests to try and get a better idea of whats going on. Should know more by tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I hope she feels/gets better soon and they give her some antibiotics! :)

    ReplyDelete