Saturday, May 9, 2009

Morphine, Pig Flu and a mean chair

Chase came home a little over week ago and my how time has flown. We started ourselves on the South Beach Diet, and although you aren't supposed to weigh yourself everyday we do. Its interesting to see it fluctuate, but at the end of the week Chase has lost 8 pounds and I have lost 6.5. You could say I'm jealous of his extra pound and a half. I think it maybe goes with all the v8 he drinks lol. Morghan has not left his side since he's been home and oddly enough, this is a relief to me. 7 weeks of bath times, teeth brushing, stories, movies, games, and for the brief time I have a break is wonderful. Especially as it comes into Mother's Day tomorrow. It has been a week long of Mother's Days really. He didn't have to go back to work until Wednesday, but when I went back on Tuesday he came to see me and we had lunch together. After i worked into overtime on Wednesday, I was able to get out of work Thursday and somehow, too many people had been scheduled anyways.

...I wish I had gone to work anyways. Everything started on Thursday... Early that morning I was sitting down to check my email when I stretched my arms over my head at which point I heard a noise I cant really explain and horrendous pain seared down my neck, shoulder, and arm. I wasn't sure what had happened and could not stop crying as it hurt so bad. I managed to get back to our bedroom to try and call Chase. When I couldn't get a hold of him I started to panic because Morghan was still asleep and I couldn't drive myself to the ER. FINALLY I was able to get through to his work and told him he needed to come get me now, that I couldn't move my neck or left arm. Through my tears, he magically understood what I said and raced home. In the meantime, my panicked crying was only causing my to tense my muscles up more so i tried to calm myself by taking some deep breaths and trying to change from pajamas to clothes. Bad idea... every move i made felt like someone was stabbing me in the neck and I had to stop. Long story short, we finally made it to the ER and after all is said and done I managed to create a tear in a muscle that I cant pronounce. For the past 36 hours, I've spent 6 hours laying flat on the floor with a towel roll under my neck, 2 sitting up, 6 on the floor, and so on. Yes, i had to go to bed this way. They also had given me a massive dose of morphine. I say massive because the tube looked to be a good inch in diameter and about 5 inches long. Granted the nurse mixed in Phenergen for nausea as well but still. I was pretty woozy when we made it to the Pharmacy and almost blacked out twice. All of a sudden I wouldnt be able to hear anything and it would start to get fuzzy so i would sit down real quick. I've also had to take narcotics every 4 hours on the dot. I wish I could explain the doctors logic in this however after being on meds for the past 36 hours i dont remember much other than how uncomfortable it is lying on the floor being only able to HEAR the TV and not SEE it.

THAT SAME DAY... Chase had to return to work to make sure his guys were doing their work when he was sent to medical and the sent home under "semi-quarantined" status for having come in to contact with H1N1 Virus. Apparently someone on the flight home had it and since the air is recirculated, he was at risk and told to go home immediately and not return to work til Monday.

LATER THAT NIGHT...
I had fixed Morghan's plate for dinner and set it on the table. While Chase and I were fixing out plates we hear a loud crash, shortly followed by Morghan screaming. Doing something that was a big no-no from my ER Dr., I ran over and picked her up from off the floor where she had somehow ended up with the chair on top of her. I later regretted this action as it put me in more pain than the narcotics and muscle relaxers could relieve. We determined that she was probably climbing on the back when it fell over on top of her. She had a huge red mark across her throat where part of it had landed and Friday morning we noticed a huge purple bump on her forehead.

I was sad that I missed her Mothers Day Brunch Friday, as I was still on "bed rest" or floor rest rather. She brought me home some flowers, a picture frame, and a poem. Chase said all her teachers missed me that day and hoped I felt better soon. I've never missed a school party and have always been the baker of a cake or more commonly cupcakes and cookies. Mind you, they are never you average sweet treats. I always make them themed to the party and they are always a big hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment