Thursday, February 10, 2011

How's Everyone Doing?

GRACE:
So on the day we were scheduled to leave the hospital we had to stay a bit longer. They took Grace around 3am that morning to do her bilirubin count. 10 minutes after they brought her back to me the nurse came and told me her levels were pretty high and she needed to go be under the lights. We didn't know she would need to be there all day! After a second count that afternoon they let us go home and we made an appt with her pediatrician for the next day. Thankfully he didn't poke her foot and make her scream for 10 minutes like the phlebotomist did the day before. Watching that lady squeeze her foot over and over again made me want to punch her in the face. The pediatrician simply drew blood from her arm in less than 10 seconds and Grace didn't even flinch! (this made me more angry with the lady the previous day) Her levels were still elevated but not enough to have to admit her to the hospital , thank God! The pediatrician told us that her levels were likely elevated due to the large amount of bruising she had when she was born, and he wasn't too concerned about it. At her appt today he said that she looks great! She eats... A LOT! I was worried she was eating too much (around 6 oz at a feeding) but her Pedi said that's great and that if she was still hungry after wards to supplement with formula as long as she isn't spitting up. Her weight is down to 8lb 13oz but he said that's not too bad as she still has time to catch up. (Supposed to be back at or above birth weight by 2 weeks - Monday)

MORGHAN:
WOW! What can I say?! She has been everywhere Gracie is, almost as a second shadow. She is incredibly attached to her. The day Gracie was born she got so upset when the nurse had to give Gracie the Vitamin K shot, and then she cried when she saw the band aids on Gracie's feet from where the lady took blood, and she got upset again when the Dr drew blood from her arm. She can't stand anything hurting "her baby." She has been a little grumpy as she refuses to take naps lately. She says she shouldn't have to sleep in her bed if Gracie doesn't have to sleep in hers. We've tried to many times to explain why Grace is in our room, Morghan is just stubborn!

CHASE:
A great help! Every time baby girl wakes up at night to feed he gets up with me. (This was not the case with Morghan!) He can't feed her since I'm nursing, but he still sits up and keeps me company, then takes her to change her diaper when she's all done. He's even learned how to swaddle her! :)

MYSELF:
Things were going great until Saturday. That evening I started shaking uncontrollably and was running a fever. I was achy all over from the shaking, which also make me exhausted once it stopped. This went on all night, and all day/night Sunday progressively getting worse. I woke up Monday around 2 am just crying because I thought I had come down with the flu, even though I didn't have any other symptoms. Chase got me some medicine and I fell back asleep. First thing in the morning I called my OB and was told to come in to be evaluated, as I might have developed and infection. Sure enough, she diagnosed me with Mastitis. Mastitis is an infection I developed from nursing but luckily I was able to continue to do so. She just had me pump for 24 hours. A few days later, here I am doing MUCH better. I haven't had the chills/fever since yesterday morning and the pain has subsided some.

1 comment:

  1. To be a phlebotomist, you’ll need to enroll in phlebotomy courses at an accredited coaching center or phlebotomy college with your region. If you’re undecided exactly where to search out a school for phlebotomy, you are able to search for the world wide web for details and site of colleges readily available.

    ReplyDelete