Friday, April 30, 2010

The Great Misunderstanding

So I got into a bit of a tiff with someone very close to me. They are practically family. Its really left me in a bit of a jam I suppose.

Basically they sent me a message stating that they missed me and felt like we were growing apart. Normally I wold respond in one of two ways. A. I'd say Miss you too or B. I wouldn't respond.

I know, your thinking "What a *itch for not responding" but I guess for me some things are known without being said. I am not a person who needs affirmation and I guess I tend to expect the same of others which isn't fair, I know. For me I know that I love and miss that person, to me it's a given. I don't feel like I need to say it or that they need to say it.. it's already known. Again, not fair.. I know! This conversation happens too often to me. Anytime we don't talk for a week or two they always say we are drifting apart. I don't understand that. I go for a week without talking to my mom and she doesn't say we are "growing apart" and that we need to "re connect". And just to note, in my busy schedule I haven't talked to my mom... and she didn't mention anything because she knows that when I'm free I will call her and check in.

Where am I going with this? Well instead of a usual response I took it one step further in hopes of ending what I deem silly nonsense. To me its over the top to say we are growing apart every time we don't get a chance to talk. I feel like they expectations of me that I should call at least every other day. I explained that I miss them too but that we aren't growing apart, life is just busy and we haven't been able to talk much. And that's the truth! I have been absolutely swamped at work and frazzled with everything for Morghan going to Texas. This got thrown way out of proportion and I turned into a bad person. I felt I could be honest because I thought in true friendship you are supposed to be able to be honest. I never meant it to come across the way that it did (and I'm still not sure how it turned into something ugly)and I think it was misconstrued. I don't feel I sounded harsh HOWEVER did I mention this conversation happened via texting? The worst possible way to communicate something like that. I can see how something can be misinterpreted but to the extent that it would threaten a deep relationship like we have? I've read through the messages over and over again and STILL can not see how it got turned around on me. All I wanted to do was clarify that we weren't growing apart and that it's not necessary to say that every time we don't talk.

When I get the monthly message of "we are growing apart" I get angry because it usually comes at a point when I've been busy and I feel pressured to make a call I don't honestly have time for at that moment. I try to return calls as soon as possible (even immediately when the situation calls) but am made to feel like its never quick enough. I don't like it anymore than the next person but that is the way life is sometimes. It doesn't mean I'm angry, or don't love you... it means life can get hectic and we have to be understanding of that.

Oh and the day before this whole fight happened I went out and bought them something to show them what a great friend they are and to tell them I might be in Texas in June. Interesting...

2 comments:

  1. I am with you Amy....A true friendship means you can pick up right where you left off, no matter if you just talked to them last week or 2 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that is ridiculous! Life is busy especially as we get older! my bff and i don't get to talk all the time but i will shoot her a text or message that i love her and miss her and we will catch up soon! and we are both okay with that. sometimes i do not talk to some friends for a month!

    if your friend reads this...YOU ARE OVER REACTING!!!!

    ReplyDelete