Friday, November 13, 2009

Post-Op (day 2)

Its been a rough day. Hell, it was a horrid night. I took her old crib matress out of the closet and put it on the floor in our room. I had it all made up so she could sleep in our room. The problem is she didn't sleep. Not exactly.

NIGHTIME: We finally got her settled down around 11:45pm. Problem::: She had to take pain medicine at 1:00 am. She woke up constantly through the night crying, groaning, coughing, repeat. I felt horrible at 5:00am when she was finally sound asleep and I had to wake her up to take the pain medicine again. You are probably wondering why I would be so mean and crazy to wake my poor baby, but I needed to. I couldn't let it wear off and have her wake up in intense pain. None the less, I felt like a mean mommy.

7:00 am She was awake again upset and asking for cartoons. She felt a little warm but that was expected and I don't get over excited. I slowly slipped out of bed exhausted from helping console her all night. Once I had her comfortable I took the dog outside. When I came back in Chase suggested we take the futon mattress in to the living room so we could be with her and rest. Chase told me to go to sleep and get some rest. He could tell that I was completely wiped out, and on the verge of tears.

8:00 am I can't sleep, she won't drink. She's now offically running a fever. 101.2* so I call the surgeons office to see if I should continue with the Tylenol with Codeine or switch to regular Tylenol. The nurse tells me to stick with the Tylenol 3 because the regular Tylenol will not be enough for her pain. We discuss other concerns such as Morghan's red swollen eyes and face: Normal. Her refusing to drink anything, even popsicles: Push harder, be firm.

9:30am Fever is up to 102.4*. I can not get her to even take a popsicle. She hasn't gone potty since yesterday evening. My concerns grow that she is getting dehydrated. Again, the nurse tells me to stay on top of her medicines and liquids.

11:00am Fever is holding at 102.4 approximately but we are able to get her to drink some ice-water. We tried Jello, she fell asleep sitting up. We gave her a popsicle, she fell asleep sitting up (while it melted). I felt so bad for her. She insisted on sitting in a chair while her Daddy and I made some food. Again, fell asleep sitting up. I couldn't take it anymore. I felt so bad for her that I finally convinced her to lay down and sleep.

2:00pm Once calming her down after a traumatic medicine incident we all fell asleep. Morghan and I on the mattress and Chase on the couch. Somehow she ended up on the couch with daddy and I alone.

5:00pm She's awake and we go through another round of pain meds. Its miserable, and I hate that it tastes so awful.

Present: She had a few hours of being rather perky, just like yesterday evening. She's moving around rather easy though still cries when she coughs. She ate some macaroni and cheese again this evening to that is awesome. Got her to drink some apple pedialyte and cold milk. A HUGE improvement from this morning. I fear for what tomorro morning holds.

Her voice has definately changed. Its still a sweet child voice but much different than before. I could say mostly it sounds more high pitched and girly, not that she was boyish sounding before.

The odor from her breath is just as the nurse said... Dragon's breath. Occasionally she gets in my face and I shudder, sometimes even gagging. That's a horrible thing but I had not expected it to be this bad. I love her none the less.

Her "happy phase" is wearing off and fussiness had begun again. I'm not surprised. I'll update more tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. haha I like that its called "dragon breath"... hope it goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete