Thursday, August 13, 2009

Its only natural...

So I used to absolutely LOVE thunderstorms and ugly weather. It turned from love to fear about 2 summers ago after we just moved back out here to SC. My parents had just left that morning and Chase wasn't scheduled back from Iraq for 2 more days. It had been raining all day and then just as darkness fell it got a lot worse. We were under SEVERAL tornado warnings through the night. When a siren actually went off for a tornado I literally lost it. I was by myself with a 10 month old and had no CLUE what to do. I called my parents hysterical and shaking so bad I could hardly speak. After all was said I'll never forget the night I fell asleep in the bathtub holding Morghan for dear life.

The worst weather ALWAYS happens when I'm alone with Morghan. Until this year. All last summer when Chase was gone constantly there were hellicious storms. To top it off as soon as he left for El Centro for 6 weeks there were 2 storms in the Atlantic. One crossed over Florida and caused rain here has a depression. The second storm was headed straight for us and at the last minute changed its course to the North.

Where am I going with this? Well recently I've actually gotten to the point where I am okay with the rough storms, because lets face it. In the Summer in South Carolina it rains/storms every day around 3-5pm. You can safely bet on it. Just as I've begun to take pride in myself for finally getting past the nonsense ...I see it. There on the news. Tropical depression, followed by a wave off of Africa just behind it. Why does this nag at me? Simply because Chase is leaving for Norway in 2 weeks. I am fully aware of how unpredictable tropical weather is, I've lived by the coast my entire life. I remember evacuating, I remember Allison that flooded the greater Houston area. Hell, I barely missed Hurricane Ike because my plane left like 3 days before he hit! I know that these 2 storms are WAAAAY out in the Atlantic and that I have about a week, if not more, before I really need to pay too much attention about their directions.

Its mostly the thought that there is potential for extremely bad weather conditions sitting out there brewing just as Chase is about to leave Morghan and I to go to Norway. I can't just evacuate to family. The closest family I have is down in Orland or up by DC. Both destinations are crazy far away, plus I'm packing a 3 year old and 2 dogs. Regardless of the distance and unpredictability, it makes me nervous and stressed that again this summer I face a hurricane, alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment