Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mind Racing

Tomorrow will be the longest I've been pregnant, as Morghan came two weeks early. The closer it gets the more I've begun to think about Morghan and her big sister role. We have had mild conversations about the baby being in Mommy's tummy, and that when its time the Dr will very carefully get her out of there. She doesn't ask for much more detail so we've never really felt the need to dig deeper. I recently had another mom ask why I don't explain every detail. Honestly? I don't think its necessary. I think that you should answer as your child is content. There is no point in sharing more information than she seems interested in.

That said, I've still been wondering how many times will go by before she DOES want more details. She's already had to sit through two awkward appointments with me having to undress, and had the nurse not told Morghan the Dr was going to look at my leg I honestly do not know what I would have said to calm the look on her face. You may wonder why I've even taken her in... well, I don't really have a choice. Chase can't get off work with his new position, can't take her to work with him, and I have no one to watch her. None the less, the looks she gives tells me she is curious and there is only so much more time before she lets out what she's thinking.

As her curiosity grows about the baby coming out, I find her talking more and more about how she can't wait to give the baby a bottle. No secret, I plan to nurse just as I did with Morghan. I'm just not sure how to explain that to her. She knows body parts, don't get me wrong. However, at some point she's going to stop being so content with the simple answers and want more details. Details that I am not entirely sure how to explain. It seams easy enough when I hear it, but to a four year old who knows!? I've looked on numerous pregnancy and parenting boards and the most common thing I see is people saying "don't worry about it"... well, sorry, but I actually WANT her to understand. I'm not going to treat my child like it is none of her business.

I will continue searching for books (for children) on line. Hopefully I can settle on one before the baby gets here. I'd like for Morghan to understand whats going to happen BEFORE it happens. She's a smart girl, and I'm sure she will understand. Maybe its just me that has a problem. Maybe I'm just digging too deep.

3 comments:

  1. Just explain to her that the best food for Grace is milk that comes from you! She will be curious and Morghan sounds like she is a quick learner so just explain simply and truthfully. She'll understand better after the baby comes and she can watch!
    On another note, whats the latest on Chase? Is he still leaving before Baby or was he able to change things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is no longer leaving. He is non deployable for 6 months supposedly. Time being they've moved him to QA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God!! Sorry, I had not remembered hearing the latest. (mommy brain or something) ;)

    ReplyDelete