Monday, April 19, 2010

Neutral?

So after over a year of seeing doctors, therapists, and surgeons we finally have an answer to my knee problems. 2 actually. One is that there are 2 chips in the cartilage in my knee likely caused from my original injury. Not a big deal, not really whats causing so much pain. so its a bit of a back burner issue. The second is a bit difficult to explain just know that bending my knees, squatting, climbing stairs is INCREDIBLY painful. There is a surgical procedure for the second issue, however it only has a 50% success rate. This is not a number the surgeon likes as it is not high enough to his liking. Understandable.

Now then, I see both sides of this issue and it has me stuck in neutral territory.

One the one hand I see that if I were to go through with the surgery (finding a surgeon to complete it) and it does NOT work then I have put my body through a trauma for nothing.

On the other hand, if the surgery DOES work then my knee function will improve.

I really hate this 50/50 scenario. I got the answer I wanted, a diagnosis. Then I turned around and got smacked with "treatment is limited if at all possible"... SUPER!

Doc prefers no surgery, Husband prefers surgery.
I prefer... ???

1 comment:

  1. Are they taking into account what the compensation is doing/could do to your OTHER knee? That makes a difference, especially over time.

    ReplyDelete